A stained carpet can take a lot of the appearance of a room. Fortunately, if you take proper care of your carpet all of that can be avoided. Doormats, regular vacuuming, and a good professional cleaning once in a while will help you to keep your carpet looking great for many years to come. But what do you do when a small spot or unsightly stain has appeared on the carpeting?
Hiring professionals for one stain doesn’t seem to be economical. Of course, you can try to remove the stain with commercial carpet stain removers, and most probably you will succeed. But do you have to expose yourself to all of the chemicals contained in a such store-bought cleaner? No, of course. There is a much easier, cheaper and safer way to remove that stain from your carpet – a household cleaning solution. Homemade cleaning solutions are easy to prepare, and just as effective as commercial cleaners. Here are a few tips on how to clean your carpet with household products.
- Blot up spills immediately when they occur. Use a white cloth or paper towels to blot the spillage working for the edge of the stain towards the centre. NEVER RUB A CARPET STAIN! If that isn’t enough to remove the stain go on to the next step.
- Mix 1 /4 cup of liquid dish detergent with 1 gallon of warm water. Mix thoroughly!
- Test the solution on a carpet spot hidden of plain view. This way if the solution causes colourfastness, the damage won’t be visible. In such case, do not proceed with the cleaning process, but call professionals, like Fantastic Cleaners London, for advice. If everything goes well with your test, continue with the following steps.
- Apply the solution to the stain either using a spray bottle or a sponge. Use a lightly damped sponge to prevent over-saturating the carpet.
- Work the solution into the fibres with a medium-bristle brush.
- Blot with a cloth slightly dampened in plain water to remove excess solution. Blot until no soap comes out of the carpet.
- Dab with a white, lint-free towel to dry the area as much as possible.
- Once the carpet has dried, raise the nap using a stiff-bristled brush.